Improve ENGLISH SPEAKING
Improve WRITING SKILL
For Enhancing Vocabulary:
1) One needs to spend at least 1.5-2 hours on daily basis. This includes: a) around 25 minute for reading newspaper editorial and jotting down difficult words
b) around 20-25 minutes for listening to BBC News (English).
c) another 15 minutes for finding the meanings of those difficult words
d) around 15 minutes dedicated to 10 idioms
e) around 15 minutes dedicated to 10 phrasal verbs
f) around 15 minutes dedicated to 10 prepositions twice/thrice a week depending upon the candidate.
2) Aspirants may record the word-meaning in their cell phone in their own voice and then listen to them while travelling in the bus or sitting alone, etc. Believe me, this one step will ensue a sea change in your preparation. Candidates are advised to adopt and follow this strictly.
3) After a few days, don’t just read newspaper without thought or spontaneity. Try to find the words/idioms/phrasal verbs/prepositions which you have already learnt in the section which you read.
4) To be specific for spelling, “gathering” the words from newspapers and writing them down in your notebook will itself help you to remember the spelling. For those who still find it difficult, writing the spelling 10-20 times is suggested.
5) Please remember that Vocabulary cannot be mastered in a short period. Yes, it is true that some candidates who mug up “rattafy” this section at the 11th hour may score well in the exam. However, they will not be able to retain that information because it has been pushed into their brains at a very fast rate. The underlying concept is to gradually feed the brain with words, idioms, phrasal verbs so that the brain absorbs them for a lifetime. After all, who among-st us wouldn’t want to be adept at English speaking/ writing…
Five Rules you should know to speak in English
How to Improve Speaking English:
1. Don’t need to study English grammar excessively
If you want to pass examinations, then study grammar. However, if you want to become fluent in English, then you should try to learn English without studying the grammar.
2. Try use some phrases while speaking
Don’t spend hours and hours learning many different words. Use that time to study phrases instead and you will be closer to English fluency.
3. Practice Speaking what you hear
Reading, listening, and speaking are the most important aspects of any language. However, speaking is the only requirement to be fluent. So the natural order is listening, speaking, reading, and then writing.
4. Study the correct material
It is important that you study material that is commonly used by most people.
5. Don’t translate
When you want to create an English sentence, do not translate the words from your Mother tongue.
For Improving Writing Skill:
My write-up specifically for those who want to ameliorate their English speaking and writing skill…
Dear members ! Let me be clear to you that this article is a piece of offhand writing and is susceptible to disparity of thoughts and that the sentences might not cohere.
You people need to start working from basic grammar and in that more specifically you must work on these following areas:
I am writing it in chronological order and you people are supposed to follow it.
CASES OF PRONOUNS
PARTS OF SPEECH
KINDS OF SENTENCES
These are basics of English Grammar. I suggest ‘Wren and Martin High School English Grammar’ to prepare these areas. Get a clear and perfect understanding of these things before moving to next level.
But this isn’t enough. This will not improve your writing skill that must be enriched with expression. Basically, what we write depicts our thoughts, or in other words we think and we write. But how will you jot down what you are thinking if you don’t have alternate English words to convey your thoughts?? Thus, having a good set of English vocabulary is cardinal. Easy to say but how to get it done ?? Simply develop a habit of reading good books. Spend most of the time in the company of books. What good reading a book will do to you ??
You will no more be on the mercy of people to spend quality time. Secondly, you will be able to get rid of all the negativities around you. Thirdly, it will for sure help improving you knowledge. Fourthly, when you will go through several good books, you will inadvertently develop an expression in your own speaking or writing. Furthermore, you will come across many new words. Do one thing. Do not let those words vanish away from your mind. What I mean to say is when you encounter new words, you check their meanings without writing those words. After some days if you try to remember them, you won’t be able to recall them. So, never forget to write new words down with meaning. You will notice gradual increment in your vocabulary.
Develop a habit of reading newspaper preferably English newspaper. Be heedful towards articles/opinions, it will improve your analytical skill. I would also suggest you to watch English movies. This will improve your listening skill.
Remember one thing, it’s better to sweat in peace than to bleed in war. The more you face hardships in chasing some goal, the better you will perform when it’s time to perform. Hard work always pay off.
Shehzad Anjum Fatyana